Neil Edmunds's death

Alexandra Smith Alexandra.Smith at ED.AC.UK
Mon Feb 4 22:28:14 UTC 2008

Dear colleagues,

Just to let you know about Neil Edmunds's death. Those of you who know
his work on Soviet music or who used to know him personally  might
wish to send condolences to his parents.

I'm attaching below a letter from Pauline Fairclough (University of
Bristol) who has just sent the sad news to a group of scholars
interested in Russian music  and musicians based in the UK...

All best,
Sasha Smith

============

Dear All
Many of you will already have heard the tragic news of Neil's death almost
two weeks ago. He had been diagnosed with multiple organ problems and
doctors were still trying to discover the cause. He died peacefully in his
sleep.

The purpose of this rather impersonal mass email is to give as many as
possible the chance to attend Neil's funeral or to send condolences to his
parents. Their address is:
Mr K L and Mrs N Edmunds
27 Caradoc St
Cross Keys
NEWPORT
Gwent NP11 7EF

Neil's funeral will be at 2.15 on Friday 8 February at St John's Church,
Cwmcarn (between Risca and Newbridge, near Newport).

If anyone would like me to convey a personal tribute to his parents, I will
be more than happy to do so. If I have a lot of responses I will put them
together into a memorial book for his parents. One of the things that I
hope will bring them some small comfort is the knowledge that their only
son, a proud Welshman from a small village in the Welsh valleys, who had an
ordinary education, became an internationally respected scholar who is now
mourned by friends and colleagues all over the world.

There are still people that I haven't been able to contact that I know Neil
was friendly with, so can I ask all of you to inform anyone not on the REEM
list who might have known Neil, and pass on the details of his funeral.

Thank you
all best wishes
Pauline

P Fairclough, Music
Pauline.Fairclough at bristol.ac.uk

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.