5-Day Visa Wait for New Student Visas

Josh Wilson jwilson at SRAS.ORG
Tue Feb 5 10:11:03 UTC 2008

Dear SEELANGERs,

I don't think information has been posted to this list yet on this issue.

The Russian embassy in the US has begun enforcing a policy whereby student
visas can only be used to enter Russia five business days after being
issued. Add to this that last summer consulates refused to rush-process
student visas, and you have a situation whereby students should plan to wait
2-3 weeks for visa processing. We highly recommend that students be made
aware of this and that they be encouraged to plan for study abroad early.

This new rule is (for now) not affecting tourist or business visas. It is
affecting new work visas, however, and may be extended to cover all visa
types in the future.

The School of Russian and Asian Studies follows developments like this
closely and publishes information about them in our monthly newsletter. The
newsletter also contains much information on Russian politics, business,
culture, language, and other issues.

Those interested in reading this month's issue can find it here:

http://www.sras.org/newsletter2.phtml?m=387

Those interested in subscribing can send a private email to me requesting to
be signed up, or can create a free educator account on our site - which also
allows them to take advantage of our free testing resources, etc - by
filling out the online form here:
http://www.sras.org/marketing_registration.phtml.

Best,

Josh Wilson
Asst. Director
The School of Russian and Asian Studies
Editor-in-Chief
Vestnik, The Journal of Russian and Asian Studies
www.sras.org
jwilson at sras.org