folkology

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Tue Feb 5 11:21:30 UTC 2008

I find Natalie Kononenko's playful suggestion of 'folkology' almost
attractive, even if it is a linguistic chimera - certainly more
attractive than the very un-English sounding word 'folkloristics' (which
logically should produce 'folkloristician' as the name for its
practitioners). Incidentally, in my ignorance I had always assumed that
'folkloristics' was a back-formation from 'Folkloristik' in German and
Scandinavian languages, used only by non-English speakers at
international conferences - but I find that not only does Wikipedia
endorse it, but the current version of the Oxford English Dictionary has
it; the first citation is:

    1950 tr. /Yu. M. Sokolov's Russian Folklore/ 3 At the present time,
    in accordance with the practice of European and Soviet scholars, the
    term 'folklore' is used to designate the material of study; to
    indicate the science which deals with this material, the term
    'folkloristics' is employed.

So the perpetrators were in fact Sokolov's translator, Catherine Ruth
Smith (not, as far as I can discover, a folkloristician), and the
Russian Translation Project of the American Council of Learned Societies
who paid for the translation (Macmillan, New York, 1950). Whether the
translation of Russian 'fol'kloristika' as 'folkloristics' constitutes a
loan word from Russian into International English is an interesting
point. None of the citations of the word in the OED article is British
(two US, one Canadian, one an English-language journal of Yiddish
folklore published in Holland). Is it standard North American
'folkloristical' usage?

Will Ryan