Terms "gerund" and "verbal adverb"

oprokop at TEMPLE.EDU oprokop at TEMPLE.EDU
Wed Feb 6 15:15:10 UTC 2008

In the теорграмматика course at my ин.яз we were taught that
gerund is (was?) a verbal form that performs functions of a
noun (Smoking is bad for you.) but, unlike a verbal noun,
cannot have plural forms or be used with articles.  (They had
a meeting. Meeting Hilary made his day.) Unlike gerund, a
verbal noun cannot take a direct object; in other words,
gerund has more verbal qualities than a verbal noun does.
Verbal adjectives are participles that modify nouns (People
talking loudly on their cell phones are so annoying!). Verbal
adverbs serve as adverbial modifiers (He entered the room
talking loudly on his cell phone).
That the truth according to my иняз professors.

Olia Prokopenko,
531 Anderson Hall,
FGIS, Temple University
1114 W.Berks St.