Pronunciation of 'g' in '-ogo' and 'ego'

Richter, Laurence Raymond richterl at INDIANA.EDU
Wed Feb 13 19:23:37 UTC 2008

An addendum.

Imagine: "Eto kon' moego dorogogo druga i pochtennogo gostja, Ivanova syna Borisa."

Laurence R. Richter
431 W. Jed Street
Bloomington, IN 47403-3569
Hm 812-334-2523  Cl 812-219-5710
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of Richter, Laurence Raymond
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2008 1:17 PM
To: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Pronunciation of 'g' in '-ogo' and 'ego'

I've never researched it (that I recall), but I've assumed for years that the pronunciation of the ending -ogo with a v is explained by the influence of the Gen. of forms in -ov derived from masculine nouns: Ivanov den', Ivanova dnja. Though no longer productive like its correspondence for feminines in -in, it used to be much more so. And of course this is the source of most Russian names from common nouns. You have guy called "pop" who has a son named Ivan, who is known as "Ivan Popov syn," and then the "syn" drops, and you've got a family name. Similarly, a guy called "pushka" has a son named Ivan, who is called "Ivan Pushkin syn," then Pushkin. The -ov -ova  forms were numerous enough to influence the pronunciation of the semantically close
-ogo's.

Larry