Pronunciation of 'g' in '-ogo' and 'ego'

Michael S. Flier flier at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Wed Feb 13 22:37:30 UTC 2008

Dear John and Will,

The problem with an explanation dependent on morphological influence
alone is that it doesn't account for the linguistic geography of the
development of the ending -/ogo/ > -/ovo/.  In my 1983 article on the
Russian desinence -/ovo/, I assumed the relevance of the central Slavic
lenition of */g/ to /Y/ (=voiced velar fricative gamma).   The current
g/Y isogloss across Russian territory  should not be taken as the
absolute limit of the phonetic lenition process.    It is highly likely
that Central and North Russian dialects experienced it intermittently as
an active phonetic process, with some phonetic environments favoring it
earlier than others, e.g. intervocalic environments before word-final
environments after the jer shift.  After the jer shift, inconsistent
lenition ultimately forced an interpretation of the heretofore
phonetically induced sound [Y], either as a highly marked, marginal
phoneme /Y/, as the unmotivated realization of the phoneme /g/ and thus
subject to remedial change back to [g], or as another phoneme altogether.

 From the socially relevant _acoustic_ perspective, the low tonality,
non-nasal, continuous, voiced sound [Y] could be identified with the
sole low tonality, non-nasal, continuous, voiced phoneme, namely, /v/.
Morphophonemics could reinforce that third interpretation in the
desinence -/ogo/ > -/ovo/ because within the small inventory of
consonants used in "nominal" (noun, adjective, pronoun) desinences, the
phoneme /v/ was already associated with genitive, cf. the gen.pl.
desinence -/ov/. Semantically the /v/ was supported as well by the /v/
in the possessive adjectival suffix -/ov/-, which expressed one of the
most common meanings associated with the genitive case.  Such motivation
was absent in the word /mnogo, /in which the phoneme /g/ finds itself
between the same two vowels but is morphophonemically linked instead
with Middle Russian alternants /z^/ (=zh) and /z'/ (/mnoz^it'i, mnoz'i/)
and thus without motivation for identification with /v/; indeed, we do
not find forms such as */mnovo.  /But in lexically marked words that
preserve the marginal phoneme /Y/ without morphophonemic resonance, as
in /Yospod'i, Yospoz^a, Yosudar', /one can find North Russian dialects
with forms such as /vospod'i, vospoz^a, vosudar'.  /Likewise the
phonetic cluster [Yd] realized in temporal adverbs in -gd- before the
jer shift, such as /kogda, togda, /is found in some North Russian
dialects as [Yd] and in others as [vd], e.g. /kogda ~ koYda ~ kovda/.

A structural explanation of the desinence -/ovo/ within the context of
the general lenition of /g/ in East Slavic (Ukrainian, Belarusian, South
Russian) provides a more satisfying resolution because it can account
for the absence of /g/ > /v/ in stem-final position (/mnogo, strogo/)/
/as well as its presence in other forms (/vospod'i, kovda/) without
morphophonemic connection.  In the case of the desinence -/ogo/, there
was morphophonemic connection _and_ grammatical motivation for that
connection, which resulted in the much more consistent and far-reaching
reidentification of [Y] as /v/ throughout Central and North Russian
dialects.

I should note that a parallel development has long been remarked for
Slovincian and No. Kashubian, which display instead of the regular
Kashubian adjectival/pronominal desinence in -/g/- an alternant in -/v/-
(and more rarely -/h/- [Northeast Kashubian only]).   In the North
Russian and Northern Pomeranian cases, one is dealing with dialect areas
at the periphery (as opposed to the center) of Slavic territory.

Best,

Michael Flier

On 2/13/2008 11:31 AM, John Dunn wrote:
> Though Borkovskij and Kuznetsov and, more recently, V.V. Kolesov accept the phonetic explanation along the lines mentioned by Will Ryan, others are more doubtful.  Both Kiparsky and Vlasto mention the possibility of contamination with genitive singular ending of possessive adjectives (Petrov ~ Petrova); it may be pertinent that the (ordinary) adjective ending is frequently spelled -ova (novova) in sixteenth- and seventeenth Muscovite sources.
>
> John Dunn.

*_________________________________________________________

*PROF. MICHAEL S. FLIER
/Oleksandr Potebnja Professor of Ukrainian Philology/

Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures
Harvard University
Barker Center, 12 Quincy Street
Cambridge, MA 02138
*

*TEL.    (617) 495-4065 [Slavic Department]
TEL.    (617) 495-4054 [Linguistics Department]
TEL.    (617) 495-4053 [Ukrainian Research Institute]
FAX     (617) 945-2168 [private]
WEB     /http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~slavic/people/faculty.htm

/
<http://www.fas.harvard.edu/%7Eslavic/people/faculty.htm>*__________________________________________________________*