AAASS Graduate Student Convention Travel Grant

NewsNet newsnet at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Tue Feb 19 20:30:39 UTC 2008

Kathryn W. Davis Graduate Student Convention Travel Grant

Kathryn W. Davis's generous donation to our organization, combined
with matching donations from AAASS members, enables us for the first
time to help subsidize travel costs for graduate students presenting
papers at the 2008 AAASS Convention.  We anticipate that we will be
able to fund, on a competitive basis, up to 10 awards of $500 each.
We are especially committed to subsidizing those graduate students
who are attending the convention for the first time or who have no
local institutional resources for travel support.

Grant Provisions: The Davis Graduate Student Travel Grant is a merit
and need-based open competition. It will fund travel for graduate
students presenting papers at the 2008 AAASS National Convention,
which will be held in Philadelphia, November 20-23. Failure to attend
the convention and present the paper will result in the forfeiture of
the grant.

Eligibility: Ph.D. students who are AAASS members and are presenting
a paper at the Convention may apply for the award. Preference will be
given to first-time presenters, though students who have presented in
the past may also apply.

Deadline: March 31, 2008.

All applicants will be notified of their status by April 30, 2008.

Application materials: All applicants must submit the following materials:
1)      Curriculum Vitae
2)      Abstract of the paper to be presented at the convention
3)      Tentative budget
4)      Statement of need, describing anticipated travel costs and
potential other sources of funding
5)      Letter from advisor or department chair stating that
departmental or institutional conference travel funds are not available

The application materials should be sent by e-mail to the members of
the selection committee and to Wendy Walker at the AAASS office
(<mailto:walker at fas.harvard.edu>walker at fas.harvard.edu).

2008 Davis Graduate Student Travel Grant Selection Committee
Beth Holmgren, Duke University, Chair:
<mailto:beth.holmgren at duke.edu>beth.holmgren at duke.edu
Cynthia Buckley, University of Texas:
<mailto:cbuckley at mail.la.utexas.edu>cbuckley at mail.la.utexas.edu
Robert Weinberg, Swarthmore College:
<mailto:rweinbe1 at swarthmore.edu>rweinbe1 at swarthmore.edu
Dmitry Gorenburg, AAASS/Harvard University:
<mailto:gorenbur at fas.harvard.edu>gorenbur at fas.harvard.edu