Cyrillic Fonts for Mac that can be accented

Emily Saunders emilka at MAC.COM
Sat Feb 23 07:47:22 UTC 2008

A big thank you to Frank, Tom and Toma for their suggestions on the
accent mark question!  Since there was some expressed interest in this
question, I thought I'd sum up my results thus far:

1)  The Text Edit suggestion seems to work as Tom described (and since
he replied to me personally and not to the list I'm including his
instructions below).  I've not used the Text Edit program except when
I've received files that could only be opened with it, so I'll be
curious to see if it will be as convenient a program to write within
as Word.  The insert function works reasonably well and I will
probably just leave the Character Palette window open and to the side
instead of cutting and pasting from previous accented vowels.  The
process is a bit more cumbersome than the option + ` that I had done
on an older Mac computer with Word Perfect and some boughten fonts
installed, but at first blush it appears to be a viable option.  Thank
you for the suggestion!

2)  The Deja Vu fonts under the "Renderer" link indicated that
placement of diacritical marks would not work for the OS X operating
system.  So I did not try downloading them.  The description did seem
to bode well for certain MS operating systems, though.

3)  Lucida Grande did not work for me, but that could be due to the
age of my Word program (Word X and not Word 2004 or the latest
update).  It gives an error message on the character palette that the
unicode character is not supported.  I would be curious if anyone has
had any luck with accent marks using the later or latest versions of
Word (or Open Office or Pages?)

  4)  The Linguist's Software was the one option I had looked into
previously (and they're actually based not to far from where I live).
But you do have to pay for them, so it could ultimately be the best
option, but not the cheapest.  I'm glad to hear that some have had
positive experiences working with the fonts.  It is good to know as I
have only just had their marketing materials to go by thus far.  If I
get at all weary of working in the Text Edit when I want accent marks,
I will likely turn to them.

Thank you again for the help and suggestions!

Regards,