accenting cyrillic in Mac

Steven Clancy sclancy at UCHICAGO.EDU
Sat Feb 23 13:15:58 UTC 2008

It seems that the general unicode fonts are allowing one to insert the
combining accent character these days, although how various programs
incorporate this can lead to success or failure.

I can accent cyrillic vowels in Word or in HTML documents for display
on the web using Times New Roman or Lucida Grande. In Word this method
of accenting also works just fine.

I'm currently working on an upgrade to the Case Book for Russian
(Janda and Clancy, Slavica Publishers) with on-line exercises. I'll
spoil the surprise a bit here and would appreciate any feedback.
Please contact me if you'd like to give the beta site a try. I use
Safari and have fonts set to Lucida Grande and it all displays great
with accented vowels. I can also get it to display in Firefox if I set
the fonts in the preferences to Times New Roman or Lucida Grande,
otherwise, the accent appears beside the accented vowel. I haven't yet
tried it on a Windows machine. I was able to convert all of our old
exercise files for the Case Book for Russian from a custom-made font
with accented cyrillic vowels to a unicode standard font with the
combing acute added, so if you have old files with custom fonts, it is
possible to bring them up to date and preserve them for the future.

The first time you do this, you need to go to the Flag menu
(International menu) that you use to set keyboards and choose "Show
Character Palette", then go to European Scripts>Diacritics and choose
the acute accent "Combining Acute Accent". Then if you have a Word doc
open, you can just double click it to combine it with the preceding
vowel. I'm sure this will be lost in Digest mode over seelangs, but
here is a series of accented cyrillic vowels:
а́э́ы́о́у́я́е́и́ёю́ (as I write this I'm in Apple
Mail using Helvetica). You can either cut and paste the accent (it's
the character one to the right of the main vowel. The cursor moves to
the right, but appears to stay in the same place and you can select
just the accent). Or if you already have a document and you need to
accent it, you can just select the accent in the Character Palette and
that window will float over whatever program you're using. Then you
just go through your document and whenever you pass a vowel that needs
accenting, double click the mouse button and the accent will be
inserted.

I hope this description isn't too confusing, but early on a Saturday
morning, I don't have the mental clarity to go into much more detail!

Best of luck!

Steven

Steven Clancy
Senior Lecturer in Russian and Slavic Linguistics
Academic Director, Center for the Study of Languages
Director, Slavic Language Program

University of Chicago
Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures