HIV tests for student visas

Del Phillips dphillip at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Sat Feb 23 15:51:51 UTC 2008

Dear Colleagues!

There seems to be some controversy as to just who needs an HIV test in order to
study in Russia.  In the past it was clear that anyone who wished to study in
Russia for more than 90 days was required to submit the results of such a test
along with the visa application.

Now, if one is to interpret the (new?) visa rules which appear on the Russian
Embassy website, it would appear that EVERYONE wishing to obtain a student visa
for any period of time must pay $131 and be tested.  This would, of course,
affect all students going on our summer programs.

My sources in Moscow/Petersburg say that this is nonsense, that nothing has
changed.  They say that students who wish to study in Russia less than 90 days
still do NOT need to present the HIV test.

What do you make of this?  We do not want any "unpleasantness" when it comes to
obtaining the visas for this summer.  Perhaps we should have everyone tested
just in case!

Are you requiring all of your summer applicants to be tested?

Your thoughts are appreciated!

All Good Wishes!

Del P.

Del Phillips, Director
UA Russian Abroad
Professor and University Distinguished Professor
Department of Russian and Slavic Studies
University of Arizona
Tucson, AZ 85721

http://www.azrussianabroad.com