CYRILLIC FONT PROBLEM

Richard Robin rrobin at GWU.EDU
Tue Feb 26 00:19:01 UTC 2008

I'm posting this to the list in case others want to chime in.

Stephen,

Are you seeing =9F=C5 etc. *as you type*, or after you save the e-mails? The
numbers you are seeing are hexidecimal versions probably of Cyrillic
characters in a Cyrillic codepage (most likely Windows-1251). You might see
these in saved send e-mails or as parts of responses that people send to you
in which they quote your e-mail.

To avoid problems, make the following changes:

1.  In Verizon and in gmail, in settings, set your OUTGOING mail to UTF-8.
This is a universal (Unicode) encoding that handles all languages. Be aware
that people with older e-mail systems (very old!) will have trouble reading
it. This includes many users in corporate situations using older versions of
Wisemail.

2.  Set your outgoing e-mail settings to send HTML or "formatted" mail. That
way, even if you use Cyrillic in a "disallowed" character set (like
Western), the HTML format will force the Cyrillic characters to be displayed
as proper codes - at least in most browsers and e-mail readers.

3.  Make sure that you set your own mail setting for INCOMING mail to read
HTML "formatted" mail.

On the other hand, if you are seeing hexidecimal (e.g. =9F=C5) *as you are
typing* then, I can't help you. You mostly likely need a digital exorcist.

Good luck!
Rich Robin
On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 8:21 AM, STEPHEN PEARL <sbpearl1 at verizon.net> wrote:

> Dear SEELANGERS,
>   I would be grateful for any help or advice about the following
>  Cyrillic font problem.
>   I use Microsoft Windows XP, Version 2002, and work on Verizon
>  (Yahoo) and Gmail for e-mail.
>  Until recently I was able to write e-mails in Cyrillic[Russian] on
>  both Verizon and Gmail by switching from EN to RU on my "language bar".
>  Suddenly and unaccountably, my attempts to write in Cyrillic [Russian]
>  were rewarded instead by the appearance on the screen of  a series of
>  numbers, Roman letters and punctuation marks.
>  For example, I am now switching to "RU" from "EN" and am typing
>  QWERTY which would normally yield the Cyrillic letters corresponding to
>  QWERTY on the keyboard; instead I now get : 9FC:5=. ;
>  I do not have the same problem with the other language fonts on my
>  "language bar".
>  Can anyone offer a diagnosis and cure for this malady?  Thank you,
>  Stephen Pearl

Richard M. Robin, Ph.D.
Director Russian Language Program
Technical Advisor, GW Language Сenter