song with imperatives?

Anne Fisher Anne.Fisher at WILLIAMS.EDU
Tue Feb 26 15:04:23 UTC 2008

Dear Jennifer,

The song in Ирония судьбы (Ironiia sud'by)- Если у
вас нету тети (Esli u vas netu teti) has two imperatives,
and discussion of the song has actually led to quite deep
philosophical conversations about risk, etc. Really!

Viktor Tsoy's Это не любовь (Eto ne liubov') also has two
imperatives, along with three verbal adverbs, to boot. I can send you
the accented Russian texts with English glossaries if you'd like them.

All the best,

Annie

On Feb 26, 2008, at 9:42 AM, Jennifer Day wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>
> Can anyone recommend a pop (or other) song that illustrates the use
> of imperatives in Russian? Thanks for any ideas--
>
> --
> Jennifer J. Day
> Assistant Professor of Russian
> Bard College
> Annandale-on-Hudson, NY  12504
> 845-758-7391
> jenday at bard.edu

> ---

____________________

"Reading is inescapably a social act."
- From John Clifford's introduction to a collection of articles  on
Louise Rosenblatt's seminal Literature as Exploration.

Anne O. Fisher
Visiting Assistant Professor of Russian
Williams College
Department of German and Russian