ADMIN: You are now subscribed to the SEELANGS list

Tue Feb 26 19:20:33 UTC 2008

Roebuck-Johnson, Aimee M. (JSC-AH) wrote:

> I'm sorry to address the list, but I'm having trouble changing my
> subscription (changing my e-mail address) for SEELANGS. My previous
> subscription came with this welcome message, but I'm not able to open
> the web sites that it contains. Is it possible that they've changed?

There are only a few links to web pages in the welcome message, but as
you say this one, which appears over and over:

<http://home.attbi.com/~lists/seelangs/>

is 404. Alex, would you please post the current web interface link and
update the welcome message?

The second important link I saw in the welcome message is this one:

<http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8d/userindex.html>

which opens normally in my browser and contains links to the listserv
manual in a variety of popular formats, including HTML for web browsing.
The usual procedure for "changing your email address" is to subscribe
with the new one and unsubscribe with the old one. The relevant section
is here: <http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8d/user/user.html#2.4> but I
can't recall the address to which SEELANGS commands should be sent for
automated processing.

Anything containing the "@" symbol is an email address, not a web page,
and clicking those (assuming you have a competent mail program) should
start a new mail message addressed to that destination. For example,
clicking:

<SEELANGS-Request at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU>

should open a message to the administrator (Alex Rudd).

The only other webpage link I saw in the welcome message was this one:

<http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/>

which should take you to our archives, and sure enough it contains the
relevant link:
<http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/seelangs.html>. But that
won't address your issue today.

In general, when asking for administrative help on mailing lists, you
should prefix "ADMIN" to your message subject as I have done so you are
sure to get the administrator's attention.

HTH.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com