Short Adjective Inquiry

jdingley at YORKU.CA jdingley at YORKU.CA
Wed Feb 27 16:18:13 UTC 2008

In his Die russische Sprache der Gegenwart, §93, Issatschenko states
that the short forms of iskrennij and the -storonnii compounds (about 15 of
these, e.g. odnostoronnij) are hard throughtout. So, iskrenen, iskrenna,
etc. and odnostoronen, odnostoronna (sic), etc.

Although the hard forms might be considered normative for iskrennij, i.e.
iskrenen, iskrenna, iskrenno, iskrenny (soft forms are also found: iskrenne,
iskrenni), I can find no source which gives hard forms for the -storonnij
compounds. I find only -storonen, -storonnja, -storonne, -storonni.

I should add that the masc. short form of soft adjectives in -nii, with
the exception of sinij, is always hard, e.g. lishnij ~ lishen, drevnij ~
dreven, but sinij ~ sin'. Also it should be remembered that only those
adjectives which can compare (non-relative adjectives) have short forms.

I wonder where Issatschenko got his information? As a native speaker of
Russian perhaps he used the hard forms for the -storonnij compounds in his
own speech?

John Dingley