song with imperatives

Steven Clancy sclancy at UCHICAGO.EDU
Wed Feb 27 17:28:24 UTC 2008

My long-time favorite is "Brosaj kurit'", a Russian rap song from 1997
from the group Otpetye Moshenniki featuring the chorus:

Бросай курить
Вставай на лыжи
Бросай курить
Здоровьем будешь
Не обижен!

I still use this in my first year class to reinforce imperatives,
easily more than a dozen imperatives in the song.

I found the song on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dePs_U8SG64

Their website is: http://www.otpetyemoshenniki.ru/

Steven

Steven Clancy
Senior Lecturer in Russian and Slavic Linguistics
Academic Director, Center for the Study of Languages
Director, Slavic Language Program

University of Chicago
Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures