Bublichki/"Bei mir bist du schoen" on Russian?

Jules Levin ameliede at EARTHLINK.NET
Thu Feb 28 23:51:57 UTC 2008

At 01:06 PM 2/26/2008, you wrote:
>Psoy Korolenko has a song called "shliager veka", which includes all
>the translations and versions of 'bei mir bist du shein' (suddenly,
>you had a 'germanism and spelled it with schoen!). The song is worth
>examining. Psoy is a philologist himself, so the song is a
>deliberate compilation that aims at presenting the whole tradition
>of this song's life in Russia and in Russian.
>o.m.

What memories this jogs.  Many many years ago, at a UCLA Slavic Dept
party, Professor Isachenko played the ukelele and sang "Bei mir bist
du shein" in Russian.  I coyly asked him where it came from and he
said it came from the Odessa vaudeville stage.  I believed even then
that it was written in New York and first performed on the Yiddish
stage, but at a time when there was an international Yiddish
theatrical circuit--including countries like Argentina and Rumania,
so the song spread like wild fire before the Andrews sisters made it
an American hit.
Jules Levin
PS  I think it was a tinny child's ukelele.