Nabokov panel at AATSEEL 2008

Inna Caron caron.4 at OSU.EDU
Thu Jul 17 02:20:28 UTC 2008

Dear Matthew,

If no one has yet taken it over, I would be quite interested in chairing your panel.
One of my students offered a Gnostic reading of Lolita as her term paper earlier last year. I will contact her as well to see if she is around to submit her abstract.

Sincerely,

Inna Caron
The Ohio State University

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [mailto:SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of Matthew Walker
Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 11:39 AM
To: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] Nabokov panel at AATSEEL 2008

Greetings Seelangers!

I am currently searching for a third paper to complete a Nabokov panel
for this year's AATSEEL conference in San Francisco. The idea behind the
panel ("Nabokov and Platonism?") is to reexamine the relation between
Nabokov's works and those of Plato and Neoplatonic philosophy, but given
that the term "Platonism" has become somewhat elastic these days (with
Derrida, for instance, you could say it names just about everything that
might fall under the category of Western thought) I will also consider
papers that discuss Nabokov and any philosophy, any metaphysics, etc.,
etc., etc.

Also, if anyone is perhaps interested in chairing the panel or being a
discussant, please contact me at mpwalker at wisc.edu.

Best,

Matthew Walker
Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures
University of Wisconsin-Madison

PS: Full information below...

Call for papers for the AATSEEL 2008 national conference, to be held
December 27-30 in San Francisco, CA.

Panel: Nabokov and Platonism?
Panel Description: The session will revisit the question of Nabokov and
Platonism. Papers may focus on the relation of Nabokov's works to those
of Plato as well as to those of Neoplatonic philosophy. New perspectives
on the problem are welcome, as are reexaminations of perspectives
advanced by previous scholarship.

Abstracts should be no longer than 300 words (for additional guidelines,
see http://www.aatseel.org/abstract_guidelines) and should be sent to
Matthew Walker (mpwalker at wisc.edu).  The deadline is August 1, 2008, but
sooner is always better.