Anonymous places

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Tue Jul 22 15:12:30 UTC 2008

Dear all,

A journalist friend has just asked me this question:

ΠI am writing a piece about place and I want to mention the convention in
some Russian novels of representing places by saying something like 'In the
town of P­' I wondered if you could possibly enlighten me as to why these
anonymity conferring initials were so widespread and whether they still are
a commonplace in Russian fiction?¹

I¹ve never given this any particular thought.  Has anyone else?

Vsego dobrogo,

Robert