Anonymous places

Tue Jul 22 20:03:21 UTC 2008

Alina Israeli wrote:

> Robert,
>
> I believe there are two reasons for that: a) not to put a spot light
> on any particular town, although in Chekhov and Turgenev we find
> easily identifiable towns S. and O. and b) to make it more universal,
> as we say it here "Any town USA", so similarly "Anytown" in Russia.
>
> The device is used not just for cities, but also for people's names,
> particularly when nobility was involved, although of course there
> are other ways of obscuring the situation. One of my all time
> favorites comes from a French film "Les grandes maneuvres" where
> GĂ©rard Philipe had a number 33 on his lapel. At the time portrayed in
> the movie there were 31 regiments (I am not strong in military
> terminology) in France.

Also, it gives the author free rein to create a fictional town/person
that combines characteristics of several real-life exemplars as his
purpose required. Using the real name would constrain him to stick to
the truth, and especially make it difficult for him to portray the
subject in a bad light -- just imagine how limited he would be if he
chose a character named "Robert Chandler"... ;-)

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com