how best to deal with "deiatel'"?

E Wayles Browne ewb2 at CORNELL.EDU
Mon Jul 28 22:05:24 UTC 2008

Hi! There's no one perfect way, but if you distinguish between
two ways the word is used, it might become easier. One way
is to say someone is a kul'turnyj dejatel' (or an obshchestvennyj
dejatel'), and for that you might say "an important cultural
figure" or "takes an active role in cultural life (or: in society)".
The other way is with an adjective: saying that someone is a
vidnyj kul'turnyj deiatel' or a vazhnyj gosudarstvennyj dejatel'
or an izvestnyj obshchestvennyj dejatel'. Then your task is
easier: translate the adjective, and the noun is less vital.
"was well-known in cultural life" or "was an outstanding
person in government" or "was important in social movements".