Enquiry on small caps in Russian

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Thu Jul 31 20:55:33 UTC 2008

Small caps are called kapiteli or kapitel'nyi shrift in Russian. Some
cyrillic fonts have them. Most unicode fonts don't as far as I can tell,
and most western digital fonts with a cyrillic subset remain unchanged
if you try to change to small cap.
For a brief technical discussion of cyrillic small cap see
http://www.paratype.ru/help/term/terms.asp?code=320
Of actual current usage in Russian typographical design I have no
knowledge - my old Spravochnik zhuralista doesn't mention them - but
Russian Wikipedia (article on kapiteli) lists some current uses in
Russian and suggests that the use of properly designed cyrillic kapiteli
is growing.

Will Ryan