philatelic help?

Anne Fisher Anne.Fisher at WILLIAMS.EDU
Tue Jun 3 13:32:16 UTC 2008

Dear SEELANGers,

I have been asked to help decipher some cancelled Soviet stamps, but
can't. To me the cancellation stamps look like they say "YALTATAVRG"
and "CHECHERSKMOGIL" or "CHECHERSKMOGUL". The names of the two towns
Yalta and Chechersk are clear enough, but what do the continuations
mean?

Thank you for any leads, and I'd be happy to forward the scans
themselves to any interested philatelists,

Annie

____________________

"Reading is inescapably a social act."
- From John Clifford's introduction to a collection of articles  on
Louise Rosenblatt's seminal Literature as Exploration.

Anne O. Fisher
Visiting Assistant Professor of Russian
Williams College
Department of German and Russian