philatelic help?

Olga Dobrunova dobrunov at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jun 3 16:10:48 UTC 2008

Hello Anne,
  My guess is:
  yaltatavrg - might be connected with Tavrichesky University organized in Yalta, or Tavrichesky Palace.
  Checherskmogil - Chechersk is located in Mogilev Region (Belarus).
  Of course, I am not sure about this - it is my guess only. Some hints can be given you by pictures on the stamps.

  Olga Dobrunoff,
  Montclair State University, NJ

Anne Fisher <Anne.Fisher at WILLIAMS.EDU> wrote:
  Dear SEELANGers,

I have been asked to help decipher some cancelled Soviet stamps, but
can't. To me the cancellation stamps look like they say "YALTATAVRG"
and "CHECHERSKMOGIL" or "CHECHERSKMOGUL". The names of the two towns
Yalta and Chechersk are clear enough, but what do the continuations
mean?

Thank you for any leads, and I'd be happy to forward the scans
themselves to any interested philatelists,

Annie

____________________

"Reading is inescapably a social act."
- From John Clifford's introduction to a collection of articles on
Louise Rosenblatt's seminal Literature as Exploration.
____________________

Anne O. Fisher
Visiting Assistant Professor of Russian
Williams College
Department of German and Russian
995 Main Street, Weston Hall
Williamstown, MA 01267
anne.fisher AT williams.edu
office: 413.597.4723
fax: 413.597.3028
options, and more. Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface at: