"Na miru i smert' krasna"

Robert A. Rothstein rar at SLAVIC.UMASS.EDU
Wed Jun 4 20:21:46 UTC 2008

Sophia Lubensky, in her Russian-English Dictionary of Idioms, explains
the proverb as follows: "misfortunes are easier to bear when a person
has his friends around him, or when he is with people who share a
similar fate (formerly referred specifically to death)."

In addition to the translations already suggested (by Alina and Alfia)
there's also "Troubles shared are troubles halved" and two French
versions: "Chagrin partagé, chagrin diminué" (Shared trouble/sorrow is
diminished trouble/sorrow) and "Malheur partagé, n'est malheur qu'à
demi" (Shared misfortune is only half a misfortune).

These remind me (by rather free association) of the very different
sentiment expressed in one of the late historian Kamil Dziewanowski's
favorite quotations, François de la Rouchefoucault's Maxim 19: "Nous
avons tous assez de force pour supporter les maux d'autrui/" /(We all
have strength enough to endure the misfortunes of others).

Bob Rothstein