"Na miru i smert' krasna"

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Fri Jun 6 00:49:33 UTC 2008

I would like to second Robert's opinion. When I look things up be it
in my native language or a foreign tongue, I always look at literary
examples, always noting if there is difference in use depending on
the period of the writing. Without that (and even occasionally with
that) I would have to go straight to a data base and do the author's
work myself.

I can't imagine that such a tool would not be of use while
translating fiction particularly not very contemporary fiction so
that George Sand would not sound like Kurt Vonnegut.

AI

On Jun 5, 2008, at 2:08 AM, Robert Chandler wrote:

> Dear Kim and all,
>
> What a sadly puritanical approach - the examples are such a joy to
> read.
> And as for practical benefit, a well-chosen example does help us to
> remember
> something!
>
> R.
>
>> One thing I would like to see is a new (or supplementary) streamlined
>> edition that leaves out the original and translated literary
>> sources. Lovely
>> as they are, I very seldom look at them in the course of my work. The
>> syntactic formulation and array of equivalents at the beginning of
>> each
>> entry tell me all I need to know. Leaving the literary material
>> out would
>> greatly reduce the bulkiness, which forces me to leave it behind
>> when I take
>> my work to another city.
>>
>> Mr Kim Braithwaite, Translator

> ---