Language Blog — a word of caut ion

John Dunn J.Dunn at SLAVONIC.ARTS.GLA.AC.UK
Mon Jun 9 09:11:06 UTC 2008

For what it's worth, I thought the list of participants in the Solov'ev  programme that was reproduced in the blog tended, if anything, to support the thesis of the original article.  The dispute does, though, demonstrate the need to choose one's terminology with some care in a situation that is characterised more by numerous shades of grey than anything black and white.  And it is often far from clear where the 'stop-list' ends and self-censorship begins.

John Dunn.

-----Original Message-----
From: Alina Israeli <aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU>
To: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 12:18:20 -0400
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Language Blog — a word of caut ion

I have read the statements of this particular blogger before and
would suggest a large grain of salt. I do not know his motivations
but often-times his statements are not based on facts but rather
represent some form of ideology the nature of which I do not
understand (nor do I want to waste my time on analyzing his motivation).

On Jun 6, 2008, at 11:23 AM, Valery Belyanin wrote:

> On 6/3/08, Nora Favorov <norafavorov at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>
>> Dear List,
>> There is a very interesting, albeit upsetting, article in the NY
>> Times
>> today:
>>

>> http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/03/world/europe/03russia.html?
>> pagewanted=1&ei=5070&en=6544cdfde9cc1835&ex=1213156800&emc=eta1
>>
>> Russians say it is not true
> http://sl-lopatnikov.livejournal.com/66619.html
> or they are just arguing without no reasons?
>
> Valery Belyanin

John Dunn
Honorary Research Fellow, SMLC (Slavonic Studies)
University of Glasgow, Scotland

Address:
Via Carolina Coronedi Berti 6
40137 Bologna