russian-american fiction/memoirs

Robert A. Rothstein rar at SLAVIC.UMASS.EDU
Mon Jun 9 14:35:55 UTC 2008

Sarah Clovis Bishop wrote:
> I'd love to hear your suggestions for 20th-21st
> century texts (short stories, memoirs, novels, films) that deal with
> Americans' experience of Russia or Russians' experience of America.
There are several interesting texts about the experience of
African-Americans in the Soviet Union, including Langston Hughes'
autobiography, "I Wonder as I Wander," Homer Smith's "Black Man in Red
Russia" and Claude McKay's "A Long Way from Home." For others see
Kathleen Ahern's syllabus for her course "African-American Literary Ties
to Russian Intellectual Thought" at
http://www.uncg.edu/gar/courses/ahern/syllabus.htm.

On the Russian side there's Il'f and Petrov's "Odnoetazhnaia Amerika,"
published in English by Princeton Architectural Press in 2006 as "Ilf
and Petrov's American Road Trip: The 1935 Travelogue of Two Soviet
Writers," tr. Anne O. Fisher, ed. Erika Wolf.

Bob Rothstein