russian-american fiction/memoirs

Wilkinson, C cxwilkinson at GOOGLEMAIL.COM
Mon Jun 9 14:30:51 UTC 2008

The collection "Amerika: Russian Writers View the United States", edited by
Mikhail Iossel and Jeff Parker springs to mind.

Mayakovsky's "My Discovery of America" is available in English (Hesperus
Modern Voices).

Unfortunately Yaroslav Mogutin's "America in My Trousers" doesn't seem to be
available in English - excerpts are available for download in Russian at
http://kolonna.mitin.com/books.php?bookid=86. It's very much in the same
vein as Limonov's "It's me, Eddie" but is more far more sexually explicit
(as is Limonov's "Dnevnik neudachnika"; also untranslated as far as I know).

As for Americans in Russian, David Tuller's "Cracks in the Iron Closet"
could be an interesting read, as Mark Ames' and Matt Taibbi's book "The
eXile: Sex, Drugs and Libel in the New Russia" if more off-the-wall and
offensive material can be considered.

Further afield, Elinor Burkett's "So many enemies, so little time: An
American Woman in All the Wrong Places" about her experiences in Bishkek,
Kyrgyzstan and teaching at the Slavic university there is a great account of
culture shock (very accurate negativity) and possibly the novel "This is Not
Civilization" by Robert Rosenberg about a Peace Corps Volunteer in
Kyrgyzstan, are worth considering.

Best wishes,

Claire Wilkinson

--
PhD Candidate
Room 354, Centre for Russian & East European Studies (ERI)