Wells / Welles

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Tue Jun 10 20:29:46 UTC 2008

Actually the original novel was also called 'The Island of Dr Moreau'. I
don't think Orson Welles was ever involved in a film of this, but he was
notoriously responsible for the radio broadcast of another novel by
Wells, 'The War of the Worlds', which reputedly caused a panic in parts
of the US where it was taken for reportage.
There is a bibliography of Russian translations of Welles at
http://www.bibliograph.ru/Biblio/W/WELLS/WELLS.html
It gives a date of 1904 without details, and a date of 1928 for a
Leningrad edition translated by K. Morozova.

Will Ryan