Wells / Welles

Stefani, Sara STEFANIS at GRINNELL.EDU
Wed Jun 11 05:19:40 UTC 2008

Dear Katerina,
H.G. Wells's novel "The Island of Dr. Moreau" was first published in Russian translation in 1904 as "Ostrov doktora Moro," trans. E. Bykovaya, St. Petersburg: Soikin. The copy that I saw of it seemed to have been published as part of a series of books translated for young people, though I can't recall the details exactly. If you can find the book "The Reception of H. G. Wells in Europe," eds. Patrick Parrinder and John S. Partington, you will find a timeline listing translations of Wells's works into various European languages as well as the first appearances in Europe of articles and commentaries about him. There are three articles in the book having to do with Wells's reception in Russia that you might find useful, but especially "H. G. Wells in Russian Literary Criticism, 1890s-1940s" by Adelaida Lyubimova and Boris Proskurnin. The bibliography for this article has an extensive list of Russian translations of Wells. Wells' name in Russian is, as someone already pointed out, not Vells but Uells (?????).

Unfortunately, I don't have any information about Frankenstein, but I hope that the above will be helpful to you!

All best,
Sara Stefani

________________________________

From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list on behalf of William Ryan
Sent: Tue 6/10/2008 3:29 PM
To: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Wells / Welles

Actually the original novel was also called 'The Island of Dr Moreau'. I
don't think Orson Welles was ever involved in a film of this, but he was
notoriously responsible for the radio broadcast of another novel by
Wells, 'The War of the Worlds', which reputedly caused a panic in parts
of the US where it was taken for reportage.
There is a bibliography of Russian translations of Welles at
http://www.bibliograph.ru/Biblio/W/WELLS/WELLS.html
It gives a date of 1904 without details, and a date of 1928 for a
Leningrad edition translated by K. Morozova.

Will Ryan