russian-american fiction/memoirs

Deborah Hoffman lino59 at AMERITECH.NET
Wed Jun 11 02:31:02 UTC 2008

Two come to mind: Black Earth City by Charlotte Habout a recent college grad who spends a year in Voronezh in the early (mid?) 1990s. Though I am not 100% sure whether she is from England or the U.S.

  Also the television host Yelena Khanga has written a book. Here's the Barnes & Noble synopsis:
  Yelena Khanga tells the compelling story of growing up black in Russia and journeying through cultures to learn about her forebears and meet relatives she had never known. From the days of slavery in the cotton fields of Mississippi to the Moscow of Stalin and Brezhnev, from Jewish New York and Harlem in the twenties to modern-day Los Angeles, Long Island, and Zanzibar, Soul to Soul is a four-generation family memoir.

  >> This fall I am teaching a new writing-based course for first-year
 students
>> on the theme of "Russians in America; Americans in Russia."  (I've
 used
>> "Russians" here for simplicity's sake, but I am interested in all
 citizens
>> of Russia, and perhaps some other former Soviet republics).  I'm
 primarily
>> interested in issues of culture shock and acculturation.
>> I've found some great material (primarily recent texts), but before
>> finalize my syllabus, I'd love to hear your suggestions for
 20th-21st
>> century texts (short stories, memoirs, novels, films) that deal with
>> Americans' experience of Russia or Russians' experience of America.
  They
>> need to be available in English.
>> Thanks in advance!
>> Sarah
>>
>> Sarah Clovis Bishop
>> Russian Department
>> Wellesley College
>> sbishop at wellesley.edu
>> 781-283-2448

A man ceases to be a beginner in any given science and becomes a master in that science when he has learned that he is going to be a beginner all his life. -- R. G. Collingwood