russian-american fiction/memoirs

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Wed Jun 11 04:43:32 UTC 2008

Yes, BLACK EARTH CITY, by Charlotte Hobson (NB - spelling), an English
student who spent a year in Voronezh in 1991-92, while the USSR was
disintegrating, is outstanding.  It is beautifully written.  I do not know a
better short book about Russia in English.

Thanks, Deborah, for mentioning it!

Best wishes to all,

R.