lexicography/pher as a literary/philosophical motif

Valentino, Russell russell-valentino at UIOWA.EDU
Fri Jun 20 16:01:16 UTC 2008

A few thoughts on this intriguing angle:

On the more canonical side, there's Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary ((with a fine definition of Russian nihilism);
and, from 2005 or so, Vassilis Alexakis, Foreign Words (in which main character uses dictionary as entry point into another culture, and where words and the collection of words offer a way to live and make sense of life).

Tending toward philology, there's Carlo Michelstaedter's Persuasion and Rhetoric, and Claudio Magris's A Different Sea, from the Triestine literary world, both of which are largely about living in and through words.

I also wonder whether Shakespeare's Prospero might fit here, in one or another of his many manifestations, from Gielgud to Walter Pidgeon.

Someone correct me but is there not also a genre of mainly Spanish poetry that uses the alphabet as an organizational principle (abecedario del amor, etc.)? There are plenty of popular songs that are organized by spelling (L is for the way you look at me), and there is a Russian alphabetic explanation for the denigration of ambition in Russian culture, which notes that the letter "ia" is at the end of the alphabet, not the beginning. I see I've moved this from lexigraphy to grammatology so better stop.

This will make a good book, Toma...

Russell Valentino