lexicography/pher as a literary/philosophical motif

rar at SLAVIC.UMASS.EDU rar at SLAVIC.UMASS.EDU
Fri Jun 20 16:52:37 UTC 2008

Perhaps this is only tangentially relevant to the original query, but there are
numerous "poeticheskie azbuki" for children, e.g. by Zakhoder and Marshak (the
latter's begins: "Aist s nami prozhil leto, / A zimoi gostil on gde-to. /Begemot
razinul rot, / Bulki prosit begemot..."). There are also anonymous obscene
versions (often involving ethnic slurs as well) of such alphabet poems in
Russian and Polish (and undoubtedly other languages). I'm away from the
resources of my home library, so unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) I can't
cite any examples. (I also can't immediately recall any from memory. Perhaps
other less inhibited list members can.)
Bob Rothstein