lexicography/pher as a literary/philosophical motif

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Fri Jun 20 17:14:05 UTC 2008

Don't forget Dr Samuel Johnson, the first significant English
lexicographer and allegedly the most quoted English writer after
Shakespeare. He defined 'lexicographer' wrily as  'a writer of
dictionaries; a harmless drudge, that busies himself in tracing the
original, and detailing the signification of words.' James Boswell's
Life of Johnson is a famous and fascinating work, and later literature
about Johnson is extensive. A Russian connection can be found in an
article by the late J.S.G. Simmons, 'Samuel Johnson "on the Banks of the
Wolga"', Oxford Slavonic Papers, 11, 1964.
Will Ryan