FW: [SEELANGS] pronun. of "Medvedev" (cont.)

Martin Votruba votruba+ at PITT.EDU
Mon Mar 3 15:15:49 UTC 2008

> closest hand tended to adopt euphemisms.  Hence the Indo-European
> form doesn't show up in Slavic (honey-knower) or Germanic (various
> relatives of 'the brown one', such as English 'bear') and much of
> Celtic.

I remember reading this on several occasions.  There's a difference,
though, between the Celts and the separate-parallel Baltic, Slavic,
and Germanic development.  The Celts who don't have the ancient
hrtko- (Irish and Scottish Gaelic, Manx) borrowed the Germanic word
(as bearach/berach, bear) rather than develop a symbolic name of
their own.  The non-Indo-European Ugrics did the same in Central
Europe -- Hungarian has _medve_ from Slavic.

Welsh (arth), Breton (arzh) and some of what Celtic can be traced in
Spain, I think, use the Indo-European root for "bear."

Martin

votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu