Help in Linguistic Experiment

Rtyom azarenko at SIBMAIL.RU
Tue Mar 4 21:14:36 UTC 2008

Dear colleagues,

I am a Russian post-graduate writing my dissertation on the English language
at Novosibirsk State University. My work constitutes a little part of a
bigger project started a couple of years ago. The goal of my paper is
lexicographic description of verbal analytical lexemes in English. The
reference to what exactly these phenomena are and why they are given this
kind of research will be mentioned below. The reason I turn to you in this
list is that I am in need of empirical data that must be collected from the
native speakers of English, of any variant. This is to be collected through
the series of psycholinguistic experiments which fall into two independent
stages. The first stage is what I call "distant", and is very simple and
consumes no more than five minutes of the personal time of a participant of
the experiment. This stage is likely to conduct with any person
individually. The second stage is what I call "face-to-face", and intends to
have one experimenter and a big group of the people tested together. In this
case, there are several tests which are expected to present one by one. The
essence of psycholinguistic experiments in my research is that the
participant is given some verbal stimuli and he or she is asked to write
down from one to five verbal reactions that evoke in your mind. For example,
you see the stimulus "mother", and the first association might be "father",
than "child", than "love", etc. Reactions are everything I need from the
volunteers.

So, if you are interested, contact me directly through the e-mail address
azarenko at sibmail.ru and I will send you instructions and the Excel file with
necessary materials. I would also appreciate the help of those of you who
could cooperate with me in realizing the second stage of my experiment. You
can benefit from this, as I offer my own help in organizing experiments with
native Russian speakers in return. Write me a letter to discuss the issue.

Besides, you can download the article, acquainting with the topic of my
research in detail, by proceeding to
http://rapidshare.com/files/97063456/Associative.rar.html. It is also
available via my e-mail at your request.

If there are teachers at your university interested in English studies,
please forward this letter to them.

Thank you for your assistance.

Artyom A. Azarenko,

NSU (Novosibirsk State University)