Pronunciation of "Zdravstvyuitye"

Nathan Longan nathanlongan at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 6 09:03:01 UTC 2008

Emily,
Сенька бери мяч
otherwise pronounced "Thank you very much."

As for funny pronunciation coincidences, how about the Russian word for
"boxwood"?  That made for one of the funniest English language excursions
ever.  The young guide couldn't remember the name of the wood that a certain
piece of furniture was made from so she just stuck the Russian word in,
hoping that it might fit.  It certainly fit, but not the way she thought it
would:

"Here we have an excellent example of a cabinet from a French workshop of
the 18th century.  The cabinet and all the details were painstakingly carved
from..., carved from ..., they were carved from, from, from ... самшит, for
a beautiful effect."

Well, the effect was indeed spectacular, and everyone learned (later) how to
say "boxwood" in Russian.  Boxwood (buxus) is just a bush so I'm not sure
how they actually built a cabinet from it, but it definitely livened up the
excursion.

NL

Nathan Longan, PhD
Resident Director