the BBC has spoken

Thu Mar 6 17:38:37 UTC 2008

Michele A. Berdy wrote:

> I caught this on JRL:
>
> BBC
> March 5, 2008
> How to say: Dmitry Medvedev
> An occasional guide to the words and names in the news from Martha
> Figueroa-Clark of the BBC Pronunciation Unit.
>
> The surname Medvedev stems from the Russian word for 'bear' medved'
> (with stress on the second syllable), so that it is important to
> retain this stress in the surname, hence our recommendation
> muhd-VYED-uhff.

Well, the schwas in the unstressed syllables are disappointing (I'd have
preferred [I]), but otherwise I find this tolerable.

As a sidebar I would note that American renditions of schwa fall into
two broad classes: a backish variant as in "sofa," and a frontish
variant close to [I] as in "vegan"; you can hear both in "Amerikin." The
choice seems to be conditioned by the surrounding consonantal context,
but I haven't had time to do a thorough investigation so I cannot offer
a rule.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com