the BBC has spoken

Josh Wilson jwilson at SRAS.ORG
Thu Mar 6 17:41:59 UTC 2008

Uzhas

I don't know if the Brits have an entirely different perception of what to
do with all those letters, but I know the average American looking at that
mess would say

Mud (dirt mixed with water) - VYED (would likely come out Vi-ed) - Uhff (a
sound you might as someone punches you in the gut).

I'm not sure what's worse - this or Midge-vey-jeff, which would likely sound
like someone calling Midge, Vey, and Jeff out for a game of Red Rover...

We've butchered Gorbachev for more than two decades and are now likely
assuring that we butcher Medvedev - regardless of the fact that the name can
be pronounced in English very close to the Russian original without playing
with extra letters.

Bozhe...

Josh Wilson
Asst. Director
The School of Russian and Asian Studies
Editor-in-Chief
Vestnik, The Journal of Russian and Asian Studies
www.sras.org
jwilson at sras.org