Nevskij's cantata

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Sat Mar 8 21:43:01 UTC 2008

The words don't make sense as a continuous text in Latin, as has been
noted in a number of places on the internet, but in a letter 'Prokofiev
and his Cymbals' by Morag G. Kerr, in the The Musical Times, Vol. 135,
No. 1820. (Oct., 1994), pp. 608-609 (available via JSTOR), it is pointed
out that the words are separate phrases from the text chosen by
Stravinsky for his Symphony of Psalms and may have been a bit of a joke.
It is the most plausible explanation I have seen.
Will Ryan