Serbo-Croatian (BCMS) Programs

Danko Sipka Danko.Sipka at ASU.EDU
Fri Mar 14 00:27:55 UTC 2008

Many thanks to all those who responded to this inquiry (for the rest of
them, I looked up these courses on-line). Here are the enrollment numbers
for Serbo-Croatian (B/C/M/S, in its entirety or one of its ethnic variants)
language courses in this and previous regular-academic-year
semester/trimester. The list does not include summer/winter-break courses,
literature/culture courses, courses of a broader Slavic profile, etc.

I hope this list may come handy in our incessant struggle for survival.
There may be some other schools offering this language -- if so, please let
me know.

School Previous Current
ASU 25 28
Berkeley 7 16
Chicago 12 12
Columbia 9 8
Cornell 7 6
Harvard 4 4
Illinois - Chicago  9 13
Illinois - Urbana 14 10
Indiana 10 7
Iowa 9 7
Kansas 17 17
OSU 16 6
Pittsburgh 28 24
Princeton 2 2
UCLA 26 16
UNC 17 10
Wisconsin 22 15
Washington 23 26.

Best,

Danko

Danko Sipka
Editor, Journal of Less Commonly Taught Languages
http://www.councilnet.org/jctl/index.htm
Professor of Slavic Languages
School of International Letters and Cultures
Arizona State University
Web: http://www.public.asu.edu/~dsipka
Mail: Danko.Sipka at asu.edu