real English?

Mike Trittipo tritt002 at TC.UMN.EDU
Fri Mar 14 17:00:49 UTC 2008

On Mar 14 2008, Wayles Browne wrote:

>David said 188 hits, but my Google search found only 6, of which 4

Google using the exact phrase "an arm's throw" with the quotation marks
estimated the number at 188 originally, but by the third page had revised
the estimate down to 33 (by omitting others "similar" to the 33). The 33
included pages outside Proz, of course.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~nehamilt/cemetery/farmer.html (in what is claimed
to be a 1934 article written in a Lincoln, Nebraska newspaper)

and

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/2278/all_the_worlds_a_stage_inside_.php
quoting a Canadian in Ontario

and

http://archive.uua.org/news/mblanding.html quoting an East Coast prof.

and

http://www.nps.gov/shen/historyculture/displaced.htm apparently written by
Audrey J. Horning, of the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation and The Queen's
University of Belfast.

I've only ever heard "a stone's throw." And "a stone's throw" is what I'd
write. I'd probably also edit "an arm's throw" into "a stone's throw" if
asked to polish something. But the span of years (1934 to now) and
geography (Nebraska, Ontario, Belfast) in apparently native users seems to
show -- I won't say an actual idiom, but at least a mistaken form that
reappears spontaneously.

It also happens to appear as a string in Antony and Cleopatra: A Novel By
Colleen McCullough, but the context there is clearly literal, not
idiomatic: "[Agrippa had a secret weapon.] He had taken an ordinary tossing
grapnel and turned i into something that could be fired from a scorpion at
a much longer distance than an arm's throw."

Michael Trittipo
Minneapolis, Minnesota