real English?

bmdamare at UMICH.EDU bmdamare at UMICH.EDU
Fri Mar 14 16:37:20 UTC 2008

I get 240 for "arm's throw", and from an eyeball estimate I'd say about
85% of them are the expression we're discussing, most of them unique
hits.  No idea if it's a regional thing - I heard it a lot on the Gulf
Coast growing up, but most of the hits are more north-easterly.

Incidentally, one of them is from the New York Times:
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9506EFD81639F934A25755C0A962948260&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=2

All in all, I second the advice that it's better to stick with the stone.