SEELANGS Digest - 14 Mar 2008 (#2008-101)

Marina Aptekman maptekman at GMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 15 18:54:56 UTC 2008

I am sorry for a question that may seem quite banal. I am teaching "Master
and Margarita" for the first time in my life a part of a 20th century
literature class, and suddenly I got scared. The problem is that the scope
of the novel is so large and so MUCH has been written and known about it,
that it is very hard to put together to bring forward to students in just
three classes. Can anyone share with me what articles and/or books you used
both to prepare for seminars/lectures or to give to you students as
handouts? Which works are considered canonical in the study of the novel?
How did you structure the lectures - what topics did you discuss first and
what later? Did showing the frangments from new  TV series help to show the
time atmosphere ? Did you use outside sourses - pictures, music, etc.

As much as it seems that I know the novel by heart - long ago I even led a
tout called "Bulgakov's Jerusalem" I suddenly really gor scared and even
confused... Will be glad for any advice!

Thank you

Marina Aptekman
Cornell University