risk of Russ. prog. liquidation (Randolph Coll.)

siskron at SFSU.EDU siskron at SFSU.EDU
Mon Mar 17 16:27:18 UTC 2008

The situation at SFSU was that representatives of the University
Administration proposed to cut the Russian Program to a minor from a
Graduate and major programs. We were told that if we chose to fight
the cuts, we could keep the Program intact if we won the vote in the
Academic Senate. We had extensive support in the form of letters and
resolutions from the City of San Francisco, the Academic and Russian
speaking communities. The student newspaper ran a series of articles
on us because we were one of the few programs that resisted the cuts.
The support of the Academic Community was simply heroic. Kathleen
Dillon actually attended a hearing and bore witness to the bad faith
of the administration. We decided to give up the graduate program (UC
Berkeley and Stanford have excellent graduate programs, both located
in the Bay Area) and insisted on  keeping the major. We won the vote
in the Academic Senate to keep the  major. The administration
disregarded the vote in the Academic Senate, broke its word and cut
the program down to a minor. Our dean was quoted in SF Chronicle
characterizing Russian as
"esoteric." This is in a state that has the highest concentration of
Russian speakers outside of New York. The only program that still has
a Russian major in the CSU system is in San Diego. This, of course,
does not mean that others should not resist these cuts. It would be
good to hear from someone who actually won one of these battles.
Katerina Siskron, Program Coordinator, SFSU