Question on Ukrainian v/w

Tue Mar 18 22:57:23 UTC 2008

Alex wrote:

> UNICOD (UTF-8)
>
> Dear Paul, Ukrainian "V" is the same as Russian. But some countrymen
> may mix "HV" with "F". I know that you can read cyrillic. ...

Well, so far you're the first respondent to say this.

I've had several messages, both public and private, indicating that
Ukrainian definitely does have a [w]. There seems to be some uncertainty
about whether it occurs /everywhere/ or whether Ukrainian has [v] in
some contexts. But I /am/ hearing for example that "сказаф" or even
"сказав" for "сказаў" (please forgive my use of a Belarusian letter for
clarity) is a Russian accent, not a natural Ukrainian pronunciation.

I'm still hoping someone will clarify both the geographic and
phonological contexts in which [v] occurs.

I was already aware of the хв/ф confusion; that wasn't my question.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com