Question on Ukrainian v/w

anna dvigubski ad2262 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Tue Mar 18 23:32:20 UTC 2008

dear paul,

as far as i know, ukrainian has W only at ends of words or before
consonants, - in other words, in those places where russian V would
become unvoiced F. so in your example VOVK, you would get both kinds:
the first is regular V and the second - W because it is in an unvoiced
position. by the way a person pronounces the final V (most often in
masculine past tense verbs, such as "skazav") you can tell whether
someone speaks ukrainian with a russian accent: a russian native
speaker might say skazaF, while the correct ukrainian pronunciation
requires skazaW.

sincerely,
anna