a possibly minority position

Dustin Hosseini iamlearningenglish at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 30 00:14:32 UTC 2008

It is from this mockery that people have learned about differences between
sounds of languages.  First we mimicked and mocked the speakers of that
second language, because it sounded strangely interesting to our own ears...
some of us chose to go on and learn that language of strange, interesting
sounds, others chose not to for this reason or that.

As far as being politically correct... PC has done a lot of bad for the
U.S., IMHO, and is only making communication between and among people worse.
 We constantly utilize and create  euphemisms and veiled 'polite phases'
every day just to avoid causing someone else some kind of perceived or
nonexistent harm.

But hey, I suppose PC makes the English language appear more 'beautiful'
than Russian since we've learned to express certain concepts with several
more words than necessary; i.e. the lavatory, restroom, W/C (water closet),
the john, the porcelain goddess (I suppose I should say porcelain god, so
that the men don't feel left out and the women less offended...) and last
but not least, the toilet...

Yes, language is an interesting thing, and when it's spoken, it sounds even
more interesting, especially to a foreigner.