a possibly minority position

Michele A. Berdy maberdy at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 30 09:50:49 UTC 2008

Dustin Hosseini wrote: "But hey, I suppose PC makes the English language
appear more 'beautiful'  than Russian since we've learned to express certain
concepts with several more words than necessary; i.e. the lavatory,
restroom, W/C (water closet), the john, the porcelain goddess (I suppose I
should say porcelain god, so that the men don't feel left out and the women
less offended...) and last  but not least, the toilet..."

Surely you don't think that Russian doesn't have euphemisms for the toilet
and going to the toilet? I have pages and pages pages of them, including
what you cite in English: клозет/ватерклозет (albeit, rather rare),
удобство, читальная, библиотека, место для раздумий, одно место;
белый/фарфоровый друг/пони. There are also plenty of "polite" ways to excuse
oneself to go to this "particular place," although I think (but would need
more research to confirm) that among friends (young-ish) Russians are
slightly more likely to say "пойду пописаю" than Americans are likely to say
"I'm going to take a pee." And there are dozens of ways in Russian -- both
polite and crude -- to describe the processes that go on there (other than
reading, which seems to be a cross-cultural habit). I solicited expressions
for a couple of columns I did on this and got so many words and expressions,
you could write a dissertation on it. Actually, surely someone has. (?)